Toddler, 2, almost dies after accidentally 'eating cannabis'

A two-year-old boy was left in critical condition after accidentally eating cannabis.

The toddler was admitted to the Royal Belfast Hospital for Sick Children in the last two weeks after using the drug. Belfast Live Reports.

The Irish News reports that he was admitted to intensive care and placed on a ventilator in critical condition – but it is believed he is now stable.

Five adults were arrested on Sunday and Monday on suspicion of child cruelty, police said. Including three women aged 51, 27 and 20 years and two men aged 28 and 25 years.

A Northern Ireland Police Service A spokesman told Belfast Live: “In response to a report of alleged atrocities against children, police arrested a 25-year-old man and a 20-year-old woman on June 13, including a lot of pills, medicines and items for investigation Drug paraphernalia.

“In the course of the follow-up examinations on June 14th, a 51-year-old woman, a 28-year-old man and a 27-year-old woman were arrested on suspicion of child cruelty. Further inquiry.”

The Belfast Trust was asked to comment.

Earlier this week, Belfast Live reported how the Department of Education wrote to school principals across Northern Ireland after a child was examined in hospital after eating THC-infused candy.

A nine-year-old was found to have “detectable levels of cannabis” in his system following the incident earlier this month at Belfast Royal Victoria Hospital.

New pictures of what such “sweets” might look like have now been passed on to schools – they have been asked to pass them on to parents as a warning.

The department’s letter reads: “With this letter we would like to inform you about a warning from the health department that products are known that look like well-known sweet products with colorful packaging, well-known cartoon images and are appealing to children.”

They went on to say that they “actually contain cannabis extract, or THC” – the main psychoactive drug in cannabis.

“Although on closer inspection the candy package is labeled as containing THC, in every other way it looks like a common brand of candy marketed for children.”

They asked the schools, staff and parents to draw their attention to this and attached the pictures of the “confiscated products”.

Due to their low body mass, THC may have a stronger effect on children, with the following effects:

  • Loss of coordination
  • Hallucinations
  • Nausea / vomiting
  • Lethargy, collapse, or loss of consciousness
  • Cardiovascular

Drug and Alcohol Monitoring and Information System (DAMIS) says there have been a number of confiscations of cannabis candy labeled “Medicated Nerds Ropes, 400 mg THC per rope” and “Medicated Nerdz Rope Bites, 600 mg THC” across Northern Ireland in recent months.

Anyone with information on similar incidents is asked to contact the police on 101 or send an email to [email protected]

.

Leave a Comment