Two people injured in crash amid Israel-Gaza protest in London

Two people were injured in a crash in central London after major protests against violence between Israel and Gaza.

Police were called today, Saturday, May 15, at around 9 p.m. to report a collision with a car and two pedestrians on Kensington High Street.

Officers, along with the London Ambulance Service, found the pedestrians – a man and a woman – with minor injuries.

The woman was taken to the hospital as a precaution.

Police say the driver of the car did not stop at the scene and investigations are ongoing to find her. No arrests were made.

It came after a major protest in the capital against the ongoing violence between Israel and Gaza in recent days.

The organizers said the number of protesters was estimated at 150,000.

Thousands of people marched through central London on Saturday and arrived at the gates of the Israeli embassy in Kensington. Protests also took place in other cities in the country.

Protesters sang “Free, Free Palestine” and held up banners calling for an end to the bombing of the territory by Israeli forces.

Since Monday evening, the Palestinian militant group Hamas has fired hundreds of rockets at Israel, whose military responded by bombarding the Gaza Strip with tank fire and air strikes.

At least 126 people were killed in Gaza, including 31 children and 20 women.

Seven people were killed in Israel, including a six-year-old boy and a soldier.

During the protest in London, a temporary stage was set up on Kensington High Street and organizers urged people to keep moving down the street as the number continued to rise.

Husam Zumlot, Palestinian Ambassador to Great Britain, said: “This time it’s different. This time we will not be contested any more. We are united. We are fed up with oppression.

“Today we say enough, enough about complicity. Thank you for standing with us. “

The names and ages of the children killed in the conflict were read out, followed by a minute’s silence.

People were told to keep moving down for security reasons and there was applause when organizers told them the turnout was “the biggest demonstration for Palestine since 2014”.

Colored smoke was generated along Kensington High Street and some protesters climbed onto buildings and bus stops while dozens of Metropolitan Police officers lined the nearby streets.

The Met announced from 7:30 p.m. that the officers had continued to work with a small group of protesters who had stayed at the scene.

It said two people were arrested and subsequently arrested and one officer was being treated for a head injury.

The demonstration in London was organized by the Palestine Solidarity Campaign, Friends of Al-Aqsa, the Palestinian Forum in Britain, Stop The War Coalition, the Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament and the Muslim Association of Britain.

A spokesman for the organizers said: “It is important that the UK government take immediate action.

“It must stop letting Israel’s brutal violence against and oppression of the Palestinian people go unpunished.

“The bombing of Gaza, which kills civilians, including children, is a war crime.

“The British government is involved in these acts as long as it continues to provide military, diplomatic and financial support to Israel.”

Lt. Col. Jonathan Conricus, an Israeli military spokesman, spoke today about an operation and said the military wanted to minimize collateral damage from strikes on military targets.

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said this week that Hamas will “pay a very high price” for its rocket attacks.


Leave a Comment