WASHINGTON – The United States on Monday facilitated the safe land exit of four American citizens from Afghanistan, a senior State Department official said.
The news came while Secretary of State Antony Blinken was on his way to Doha, Qatar, just days after the US withdrew all troops from Afghanistan to end a 20-year war. Monday’s revelation marks the first known evacuation of American citizens from Afghanistan with US government assistance since the withdrawal.
“The Taliban were aware of this and did not obstruct their transit,” the official said, adding that the Americans were in good shape.
The official did not say where the evacuees were being taken, but said they were met by staff from the U.S. embassy upon arrival.
Rep Ronny Jackson, R-Texas, said the four citizens were from his district.
The US evacuated thousands of American citizens from Afghanistan in the weeks leading up to the August 31 withdrawal. President Joe Biden said last week that between 100 and 200 Americans stayed with “some intention of leaving,” including many who are dual citizens or long-term residents. The Biden government has announced that it will continue to work to evacuate US citizens who want to get out of Afghanistan.