Universal Credit Christmas bonus: Will I receive extra money over the festive period?

With the holiday season approaching quickly, many beneficiaries wonder if they will receive an increase in their payment in December.

However, some will be disappointed when they learn that not all benefits come with a Christmas bonus.

That is extra money given to some applicants during the holiday season that can be spent on everything from gifts and presents to food and mulled wine.

Read more: All the financial support you can get from the government this winter

When it is spent, the Department of Work and Pensions may mark the extra cash as “DWP XB” on your bank statement.

But you might be wondering if you are actually standing in line for the extra payment? Well, we tell you what benefit payments are due for the added money and how to get the money. Here’s what we know

Universal Credit Christmas Bonus: Will I Get Extra Money?

Unfortunately, if you have Universal Credit, your December payments will not increase. We don’t know why, but for some reason Universal Credit applicants are not qualified.

However, if you are receiving any other benefit such as Disability Allowance or Personal Independent Payment (PIP) you should get the extra £ 10. This will be the case as long as you have been in the UK, the Channel Islands, the Isle of Man or Gibraltar during the “Qualifying Week” which is the first week of December in most years.

Other benefits besides the two above, where you can also see the payment net, are:

  • Armed Forces Independence Payment

  • Care allowance

  • Dependency

  • Child benefit in the event of disability

  • Long-term care allowance (paid out as part of industrial accident or war pension systems)

  • Contribution-based employment and support allowance (when entering the main phase of benefits after the first 13 weeks of entitlement)

  • Disabled Life Support

  • Long-term disability pension

  • Unemployment benefit (for widows or widowers)

  • Mobility allowance

  • Annuity loan – the element of guarantee

  • Personal Independence Payment (PIP)

  • State pension (including tiered old-age pension)

  • Severely handicapped allowance (temporarily protected)

  • Unemployment allowance or allowance (paid out under industrial accident or war pension schemes)

  • War disability pension at state retirement age

  • War widow’s pension

  • Widowed mother’s allowance

  • Parental allowance for widowed parents

  • Widow’s pension

You should have your extra money paid out automatically by Christmas Day, but if you are concerned and didn’t receive it or think you should have received it but didn’t receive it, you should contact Jobcenter Plus or Pension Service turn around.

If your benefit is not listed and therefore you are not eligible for the additional payment, you may want to know what other aids are available during the holidays.

If you need help heating your home, you should check out the cold weather payment or winter fuel allowance that is given to specific groups of people. There is also a Warm Home Discount which can cut your electricity and gas bills by £ 140.

That being said, you could be eligible for a £ 500m share of the Government’s Budget Support Fund. You need to contact your local council if you think you are eligible and explain the reasons for wanting money. This can be to pay for everyday necessities such as groceries or clothing, or to help pay an electricity bill.


Leave a Comment