Warning for parents after toddler starts house fire by turning on hob

A safety warning was issued after a house fire was started by a toddler accidentally turning on a hob.

Neighbors called the fire department after hearing a fire alarm and thick black smoke rising from a window.

It turns out the toddler managed to turn the hob on before going out with a parent – who didn’t realize it was on.

Items like a cutting board were left on top of the hob, which then started the fire, Northants Live Reports.

The Northamptonshire Fire Department has urged residents to check equipment before leaving their homes and to ensure there are no objects near stoves.

A spokesperson said: “We would like to encourage parents to double-check devices before leaving if they have children who like to play with switches or who have tried to turn devices on before.

“Doors are also good to close as they protect the rest of your home if a fire breaks out in one room.”

The fire department was called to the house in Irthlingborough at 2:35 p.m. on Tuesday, June 15.

The fire department added, “Since the homeowner had working smoke alarms that alerted quick-thinking neighbors, we were able to save the house.

“Install smoke alarms on every level and check that they are working every month. If you hear a neighbor’s alarm, please investigate.”

.

Leave a Comment