Accuracy, accuracy and clarity are core values here at FiveThirtyEight and we are looking for someone to share them. FiveThirtyEight is hiring a part-time editor and fact checker to join their copy desk and ensure our stories, charts, videos, and interactive graphics meet the website’s standards for methodological accuracy, clear presentation, and reasoning. That means someone is detail-oriented, comfortable with numbers, and enjoys working with FiveThirtyEighters in departments across the newsroom.
A successful candidate for this position could come from a variety of backgrounds and skills – maybe a fact checker, someone with experience on a traditional copy desk, or even a recent college graduate with a background in statistics or coding who would like to develop their editing and research skills. Candidates should Not You feel that you need to tick each of the boxes below in order to apply.
This position is part-time and will average no more than 29 hours per week with the option to continue working remotely as long as you adhere to the Eastern time zone.
- At least two years’ experience in fact checking, text editing, or research (college or graduate school are acceptable).
- A story of cooperation and friendliness.
- Familiarity with spreadsheet software such as Microsoft Excel and / or familiarity with programming languages such as R or Python.
- The ability to work with basic math skills and check the accuracy of numbers.
- Meticulous attention to detail and curiosity to learn.
- General knowledge of US politics or major US sports.
Candidate nice to have:
- Knowledge of spreadsheet software such as Microsoft Excel and / or knowledge of statistical programming languages such as R or Python.
- In-depth knowledge of US politics or major US sports.
If you are interested, Please apply hereand include your CV and cover letter by April 5th. If you don’t check every box, that’s fine. We’d still love to hear from you.
If you don’t have the time or interest to work 29 hours a week but check a lot of the boxes above, we’re also looking for freelancers who can copy fact editing and reviewing. For more information, please send an email to [email protected] with the subject “FREELANCE COPY EDITOR”.