Millions of people will leave their jobs or educational institutions and sign up for a record weekend of holidays in December.
It will mark the next official holiday in England, Wales and Northern Ireland, but Scotland will get one sooner – late November.
Not everyone is lucky enough to have the time off, however, as the frontline ambulance workers are among those who can’t relax and enjoy the break.
READ MORE Will the council tax go up this year?
However, if you are busy preparing for the next break, you may want to know when the next holiday is. Well, we will tell you and also inform you about the other holidays that are coming up.
When is the next holiday?
The next public holiday depends on where you live in the UK. If you are in England, Wales and Northern Ireland, your next public holiday is Monday, December 27th, 2021.
This is because Christmas Day, the usual public holiday in late December, falls on a Saturday this year, so the assigned day off is postponed to the following Monday.
The same goes for Boxing Day. This is supposed to take place on Sunday, December 26th, 2021, but since it is a Sunday and Christmas Day has already been postponed to Monday, Christmas Day will be postponed to the following Tuesday.
This means that England, Wales and Northern Ireland have their next and last holidays of the year on Monday 27 December 2021 and Tuesday 28 December 2021.
Scotland will also get these days off. But they celebrate a national holiday on Tuesday, November 30th, 2021, because it is St. Andrea’s Day. So they also get a November vacation.
Celebration of the day laws in Scotland were passed by its decentralized parliament in 2006, with the day being postponed to Monday if it falls on a weekend day.
Holidays for the rest of 2021
- Tuesday November 30th 2021 – St. Andrew’s Day (Scotland only)
- Monday, December 27, 2021 – Christmas Day
- Tuesday, December 28, 2021 – Christmas Day
What are the holidays in 2022?
The first day of the year, New Years Day, is usually a public holiday, but like Boxing Day and Boxing Day in 2021, it falls on a weekend day. This means that Monday January 3rd 2022 will be the first official public holiday of the year for England, Wales, Northern Ireland and Scotland.
However, Scotland enjoys another public holiday on the day after New Years Day which would be a Sunday. This means that this day will also be postponed to Tuesday, making Tuesday January 4th, 2022 a Scottish public holiday. The other nations have a normal working day that day.
After the New Year, Northern Ireland enjoys a public holiday on Thursday, March 17, 2022 as it is St. Patrick’s Day. Elsewhere, the day is a normal working day.
It follows Easter, so that on Good Friday, Friday 15th Scotland does not.
After that there is another UK bank holiday on Monday 2nd May 2022 which is a bank holiday in early May.
People across the country will be delighted to learn that there will be an additional holiday in 2022 to coincide with the celebrations for the Queen’s Platinum Anniversary.
This means that there will be nationwide public holidays on Thursday, June 2, 2022 and Friday, June 3, 2022, which will mark a special four-day weekend.
Scotland will then enjoy a summer holiday on Monday 1st August 2022, while the rest of the UK nations will instead have Monday 29th August 2022 off.
Northern Ireland will take a break on Tuesday, July 12, 2022 to coincide with Orangemen Day, also known as the Battle of the Boyne.
Scotland will then have a bank holiday on Wednesday 30 November 2022 to celebrate St Andrew’s Day again.
The last two public holidays are common across the UK, with Christmas Day falling on a Sunday and the public holiday falling on Tuesday the 27th.
Holidays for 2022
- Monday, January 3, 2022 – New Years Day
- Tuesday 4th January 2022 – 2nd January public holiday (Scotland only)
- Thursday March 17, 2022 – St. Patrick’s Day (Northern Ireland only)
- Friday, April 15, 2022 – Good Friday
- Monday April 18, 2022 – Easter Monday (England, Wales and Northern Ireland only)
- Monday, May 2, 2022 – public holiday in early May
- Thursday, June 2, 2022 – Spring Day
- Friday June 3, 2022 – Queen’s Platinum Jubilee Holiday
- Tuesday July 12, 2022 – Orangemen’s Day – Battle of the Boyne (Northern Ireland only)
- Monday August 1, 2022 – Summer Holiday (Scotland only)
- Monday 29 August 2022 – summer holiday (England, Wales and Northern Ireland only)
- Wednesday November 30, 2022 – St. Andrew’s Day (Scotland only)
- Monday, December 26, 2022 – Boxing Day
- Tuesday, December 27, 2022 – Christmas Day