A mother was hospitalized on a drop after suffering a severe reaction to hair dye – causing her scalp to be covered with blisters and her eyes to be puffy.
27-year-old Leonie Dee attempted to dye her hair two different colors with Schwarzkopf Live in ‘Cosmic Blue’ and ‘Ultra Violet’, which cost her £ 4.79 each.
The mother of four, Leonie, patched both colors last week before applying them to her hair to make sure she wouldn’t react to them.
But when Leonie came to dye the top half of her hair with the dark blue dye, she stayed in the hospital for over 36 hours after the reaction.
Leonie, who works as a cleaner for her local GP practice in Aberaeron, Wales, said: “It was really scary – at some point they were afraid that the swelling would move down my neck.
“I even asked her at the hospital if shaving all of her hair would help. I was willing to do that if it made a difference.
“But the dye was already absorbed into my scalp, so there was nothing to do but wait for the swelling and blisters to subside.
“I’ll definitely never dye my hair again – I’ll let it grow out and then just let it stand.”
Leonie said she used to dye her hair regularly as a teenager – and changed color every time she started seeing her roots grow streaky.
But after having children – now 11, ten, three and six months old – she said she “couldn’t be bothered” – and hadn’t dyed her hair in seven years.
But Leonie added, “I was at a point where I had just imagined a change.
“Because it’s been so many years since I last stained it, I was very religious about reading the booklet and doing the patch test because I wanted it to be perfect.”
Leonie bought the two different colored Schwarzkopf Live hair dyes from her local pharmacy and set about doing the patch test for each one.
She said, “Nothing came up at all – not a trace. So I went ahead and dyed the lower half of my hair purple and that went well.
“Then I gave it a few days before I applied the blue hair dye to the top half of my head around 5:30 pm on Thursday.
“When I woke up the next morning, my ears and the side of my neck swelled a little – but I could fix it just by taking a few anti-allergy pills that I had at home.”
But when Leonie woke up on Saturday morning, she was shocked at how the reaction had turned out.
She said, “I woke up with these big blisters on my hairline and my eyes were so puffy that I couldn’t see anything.”
Leonie was rushed to Aberystwyth Hospital at 6 p.m. on Saturday night – and spent over 36 hours there receiving steroids, anti-allergy pills and creams, and applying a drop of liquid.
She said, “The bubbles burst and oozed blue dye over and over.
“They had to turn off the light over my hospital bed because the light irritated my eyes. I could just sit and wait for it to get better.”
Leonie added that she has since done her research on Schwarzkopf hair dye – and found that the darker colors like Cosmic Blue have a higher concentration of its active ingredients that she believes it reacts to.
She submitted an online questionnaire to Schwarzkopf to file a complaint.
Leonie was able to return home at 10.30 a.m. on Monday morning – but says the swelling has not gone down completely.
She said, “I feel like I’ve turned a corner and I feel better inside myself.
“I just have to keep taking the medication – and wait for my hair to grow back and get back to normal.”
Schwarzkopf was approached about a statement about Leonie’s story, but declined to comment.