Woman says Primark candle 'exploded' while she was using it

A woman’s room was covered with tiny shards of glass after a Primark candle incident.

Olivia Anderson was watching a movie and flipping her phone when she said she heard an “explosion” in her room.

The 24-year-old jumped up and looked around only to find that the candle her father bought her had disappeared. She had turned the candle – a hexagonal votive candle made of Madagascan vanilla-vanilla glass for £ 1.50 – on and off for the past four weeks.

In its place there was a dent in the wood surface it had been standing on.

“I was looking at my phone screen and there was a huge explosion,” said Olivia The mirror.

“I sat bolt upright and noticed the candle was gone. The sound was phenomenal, literally an explosion.

“I was incredibly shocked to find out what happened. If I had happened to stand next to or near it, the tiny shards of glass would have penetrated me.”

She added, “It was everywhere. Tiny pieces of it. Tiny pieces of it got into my fingers.”

In response to the incident, a Primark spokesperson said, “We are very sorry to hear about Ms. Anderson’s experience.

“Primark works very hard to ensure that all of our products meet relevant safety standards. In accordance with those standards, this particular candle contains a complete list of safety instructions for use at the base of the product.

“We are in contact with the customer and will investigate what happened in this case.”

The Sussex woman described herself as a “giant candle person”. She said this was the first time she had an explosion in the air.

Woman says Primark candle 'exploded' while she was using it 1

“I’ve never had a candle cover that ever exploded,” said Olivia.

Olivia, who works as a virtual assistant, compared the sound of the explosion to “dropping a dumbbell”.

“I was lucky to be on the other side of the room,” said Olivia.

“It was so severe that there were dents in the wood surface it was on and also in the unit next to it.

“It scratched my Ikea furniture.”


Leave a Comment