Young woman, 19, mauled to death by great white shark in horror attack pictured

A 19-year-old woman dragged into deeper waters in New Zealand and beaten to death by a great white shark was named.

Kaelah Marlow died Thursday on Waihi Beach with witnesses describing the horrific scene when people screamed in panic.

The teen’s aunt, Kylie French, told The West Australian that her entire family was “in shock”.

“We can’t go over there, mom can’t go over there,” she said.

“You hear about shark attacks, but in a million years you never think it will be someone you know.

“She was a pretty girl, a funny girl, always bubbly in something.”

Ms. Marlow suffered fatal bite wounds on her leg in the water near the Western Bay of Plenty.

Lifeguards ran to the scene and dragged them out of the water.

According to local reports, emergency services were called to the location where they performed “vigorous CPR” on the victim.

Witness Elliot Hall said he heard the victim was seen swimming briefly behind the waves when she started screaming.

Hall said he watched paramedics perform CPR for the woman for about 20 minutes as family and friends gathered around her.

Kaelah Marlow died in the shark attack

Another witness, Tadhg Stopford, said a man and woman standing near the victim when they were treated appeared to be in “shocked distress”.

Despite the best efforts of the paramedics, she was unfortunately pronounced dead at the scene, reports the New Zealand news site. Stuff.

After CPR efforts ceased, Mr. Stopford said the man was in distress near the victim, then went into the sea and stayed there for a few minutes.

While the tragedy was playing out, other swimmers in the water were ordered to evacuate when a rescue helicopter landed on the beach.

One swimmer, Mark Wilson, said sharks are often seen in the area, thinking it might only be a matter of time before an incident occurred.

Mr. Wilson believed the affected shark was a pointer shark – also known as a great white shark.

Kaelah Marlow died in the shark attack

As he attended the vigil in honor of the woman, he said, “It could have been any of us, so we just thought we were going to have a drink for the person concerned.”

While other locals said it was not uncommon for sharks to be seen in the shallow water on the beach, they are usually not harmful to swimmers.

Kina Scollay said, “It’s unusual. Thousands of people swim in this area at this time of year.

“In general, you shouldn’t have to worry about sharks. It’s just so tragic. My thoughts are with the woman’s family.”

The woman’s body was taken to the Coast Guard building, where the family members stayed until around 9:30 p.m.

Locals held a vigil on the beach on Thursday evening local time to remember the victim.

Kaelah Marlow died in the shark attack

This morning people came to leave flowers on the beach, including a man who waded in the water and strewed hydrangea leaves.

Police said Friday that it was New Zealand’s first fatal shark attack in eight years.


Leave a Comment