Prince Philip thanks medical staff after 28 days in hospital

The Duke of Edinburgh has returned to Windsor Castle after a month-long hospital stay and wants to thank the medical staff who treated him, Buckingham Palace said.

Buckingham Palace issued a statement after the Duke of Edinburgh was discharged from hospital.

In a statement, Buckingham Palace said: “The Duke of Edinburgh was discharged from King Edward VII’s hospital today and has returned to Windsor Castle after treatment for an infection and a successful trial for a pre-existing illness.

“His Royal Highness thanks all the medical staff who have looked after him at both King Edward VII’s Hospital and St. Bartholomew’s Hospital, and everyone who has sent their good wishes.”

It goes without saying that the Duke is in a good mood.

Prince Philip underwent heart surgery on March 3, just three months before his 100th birthday.

He left the private King Edward VII’s Hospital in central London on Tuesday morning in a black BMW.

The Duke, the country’s longest-serving wife, spent 28 nights in hospital – his longest stay ever – after being admitted for the first time on February 16.

After feeling uncomfortable in Windsor, he was first driven by car to King Edward VII’s Hospital, but two weeks later taken by ambulance to St. Bartholomew’s Hospital in the City of London.

He had a successful procedure for pre-existing heart disease in St. Bartholomew on March 3, before he was returned to King Edward to recover and continue his treatment.

Concerns about the Duke have risen due to his advanced age and difficult times for the royals.

The monarchy fell into crisis when Philip was hospitalized after the Duke and Duchess of Sussex made shocking allegations of racism in their Oprah interview.

Harry and Meghan, who received the phone call from Philip about being unwell to postpone the interview, accused an unnamed king – neither the queen nor the duke – of raising concerns about the color of their son Archie’s skin tone before he was born.

Meghan also shared how she asked for help when she was suicidal, but said the facility didn’t give her any assistance.

The Queen, 94, said the issues were worrying but “some memories may vary” and it was a family matter that would be treated privately.

The Duke of Cambridge, meanwhile, was defending the House of Windsor and while visiting a school in east London said: “We are next to no racist family.”

Philip has been treated for heart problems in the past and was rushed to hospital by helicopter from Sandringham in 2011 after experiencing chest pains as the royal family prepared for Christmas.

In the grave health crisis, he was treated for a clogged coronary artery at Papworth Hospital in Cambridgeshire and underwent a minimally invasive coronary stent procedure.

The Barts Heart Center is located in St. Bartholomäus – Europe’s largest specialized cardiovascular service.

The Duke was visited in hospital by King Edward VII on February 20 by his eldest son, the Prince of Wales, who made a 200 mile round trip and stayed for about 30 minutes.

Philip has spent most of his time in Windsor with the Queen for her safety, along with a reduced household of staff referred to as the HMS Bubble.

The couple, who have been married for 73 years, received their first Covid-19 shocks in January.


Leave a Comment