A woman has warned vapers to check their pens are safe – after hers burst into flames during a hit.
Emma Browne, 40, had been using device daily for nine months when it set a light from inside the cartridge, she claims.
Fortunately she was not seriously injured – suffering only a dry throat – but she now wants to warn others to test their vapes before using them.
Emma, from Ipswich, Suffolk, said: “It tasted burnt and hot so I had to rinse my mouth and drink loads of water.
“Then I tested my vape and saw the flames that’s when I realized it had done that in my mouth.
“If I had carried on puffing on that and not checked it I could have damaged my throat.”
Emma, who has been vaping for a few years, bought the pen from Amazon with two replacement coils for £79 in May last year.
But on Saturday evening, she received a shock when she took a puff – and felt a strange burning sensation.
After she took it out her mouth she clicked the pen again and saw bright flame emerging from the cartridge, she claims.
“I hadn’t even gotten up to 4,000 puffs on my vape, it was only on 3,245 puffs,” she added.
Emma says she suffered a dry throat for the rest of the night
But she now wants to encourage others to test their vapes before they take a hit.
The manufacturer has been contacted for comment.