“I just hope all protocols are followed,” Biden told reporters.
The Trump campaign in turn rejected any suggestion to delay the debate.
“President Trump will be healthy and be there,” campaign spokesman Tim Murtaugh said in a statement to POLITICO. “There is no escape for Biden and his media protectors cannot cover him.”
Trump was admitted to Walter Reed Medical Center on Friday hours after it was announced that he had tested positive for the coronavirus. Despite the White House revealing worrying signs of his condition, Trump returned to his apartment on Monday night.
The next presidential debate is scheduled for next week in Miami. If the president remains contagious, a trip to the discussion site would dramatically increase the risk of further contagion. More than 30 people in Trump’s inner circle have already tested positive for the virus.
Trump and Biden debated last Tuesday with their lecterns about three feet apart. Fox News’ two contestants and presenters Chris Wallace did not wear masks, but others in the debate had to. Still, some members of Trump’s family took off their masks after taking their seats.
Biden and Wallace have since said they have tested negative for the virus so far.